Friday, January 14, 2011

I'm not 30 anymore

I don't mind aging.  I actually embrace it.  I turned 40 and just blossomed.  I became spiritually and emotionally stronger.   I was no longer afraid to speak up and voice my ideas, thoughts and concerns. I am content and find ways to challenge myself everyday.  I really like who I've become.

Unfortunately, my body blossomed too!  Now, I'm not 30 anymore, so I don't expect to still have the shape I had in my teens, 20s and 30s.  But I sure as has hell don't like what it's become in my late 40s.    I have no one to blame but myself.    The truth of the matter is I eat too much and don't exercise enough.  But my biggest problem is that I feel 30 inside and  think I still weigh 140 pounds!  The mirror and stairs, however, tell a different story.  I hardly recognize the chick in the mirror.  She has a double chin and linebacker shoulders.  She looks like she is 6 months pregnant.  And when she walks up the stairs, she feels 6 months pregnant!  You'd think she ran a marathon the way she huffs and puffs!  The reality is this is my life, and it needs to change

In 16 months I'll be 50, and I want to be healthy.  I have some big plans for my birthday.  My brother Mitchell wants to take me to Italy. And I want to be able to enjoy it to the max...hiking, walking, swimming, sightseeing, wine drinking and eating.  But, more importantly, I want to be around for a long time because I feel I still have a lot to  offer my family, community and students.

So, I joined Weight Watchers three weeks ago.  So far I've lost 5.2 pounds.  I have 37 more pounds  to go!  It is going to be long journey.  As we all know, it takes a life time to create habits and they don't change overnight.  I hope that I have the physical strength to make it to goal.  I want to be healthy in all aspects of my life.

In the months to come, I will update you on my progress....the good along with the bad.  I feel the more I  vocalize my struggle with my weight, the more accountable I become.  The more people who know, the more motivated I am to keep on the right path.  I don't want to let me friends and family down.  More importantly, I don't want to let myself down.

So, if you see me on the street,  at a quilt show,  in a  scrapbook store or at Chipotle's, don't be afraid to ask me how I'm doing.  I'll be happy to answer you...after I finish eating the carrot in my mouth!

Make Every Day Count....
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment