Sunday, June 26, 2011

Summer Lovin #1

There is a plethora of reasons why I love summer.  Of course, there is the obvious.   After all what teacher doesn't love summer break!!  And if you find a teacher who says she doesn't like summer break, she is lying!  I also love soaking in the sun, sleeping in each morning, going to lunch with my peeps,  sewing Thursdays with Barb and Rosie, and reading beach trash novels just to name a few.

But a little hidden summer pleasure for me is unexpected company.  I love when people just stop by unannounced on a beautiful, sunny, summer Saturday or  Sunday afternoon.  I mean think about it.  How many times have you been out for a drive on a gorgeous warm summer day, and you start to get nostalgic  about someone or someplace that means a lot to you?  You wonder what they are doing or if the place is still there.  The next thing you know your car is on autopilot and heading to the person or place of long ago.  I consider it the highest form of  honor if Rick and I are the recipients of such a visit.

Yesterday, Rick and I were honored with the unexpected visit of not one but two different groups of people. (So glad I spent an hour that morning cleaning up the house!!!  Too bad I hadn't taken a shower yet!)  Our first visitors were Dick and Yvonne Wolfe.  When Rick worked at Matesich's Distributing, he delivered beer to their drive thru in Dresden, Ohio.  A friendship was born that has lasted now for over 25 years.  The guys share a common interest in business and politics.  We womenfolk share a love of gardening.  As soon as the Wolfes were out of their car, the men went inside to inspect Rick's recent remodeling efforts.  Yvonne and I were walking the grounds to marvel at the flowers in  my gardens.  She caught me up to date on their health.  (Both of them are  in their 80s).  Of course there is the karma thing.  I had said to Rick on Wednesday that I thought about Yvonne when I was cleaning out the attic.  Years ago, Yvonne got rid of all of her Christmas decorations.  She said she no longer decorated because it wasn't what Christmas was about.   I was appalled. You see I, at one time, was a Martha Stewart wannabe.   Now, 15 years later, I get it.  I told Yvonne about it and we got a huge laugh out of it.  After an hour's visit, they were off to Dresden.  There were many hugs and promises to get together soon for lunch.

It was back to work in the yard!  After all it was a beautiful day and the thistles and weeds were calling our names.  The next thing we knew the dogs were going crazy again.  Now who could be here?!?!?!  After all we very seldom get company, but now twice in one day!?!?  There to our amazement was Rick's brother, Doc, and his daughter, Adrianne.  You see Adrianne is 23 years old and lives in NYC. We don't get to see her often.  The last time was Christmas Day.  She is home for a week.  There is a family gathering scheduled for today, but Rick most likely won't be able to attend because of work.  So, Doc and Adrianne came to see Rick in case he can't make it today.  We loved it.  We got to spend 2 hours of uninterrupted time with her.  We didn't have to share her with Aunt Suzy, Uncle Brad or Uncle Tim!  We talked about her job.  She works with the AmeriCorp in Brooklyn.  This year she will be a team leader!  She has a new apartment with Erin, a grad student at NYU School of Interior Design.   She is contemplating going back to school.  She wants to get her masters in social work.   I encouraged her to follow her heart.  I also encouraged her to do something with her photography.  She is an amazing artist! We also talked about visiting her this summer. She wants to show us the city and her new life.  I promised I would work on Uncle Rick!  He is not an adventurist.  He is a homebody.  He uses the dogs as an excuse not to travel, but deep down he just likes to be at home.  After a lengthy visit, they were off to Coshocton.

Yesterday was a great day! I have to admit, I didn't get any of my list done for the day.  But who cares? We were honored that we got to spend time with people who are dear and near to our hearts.  Now I ask, "Would this have happened if it were a cold, dreary winter day?"  Lovin summer!

Make Each Day Count
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment