Sunday, June 19, 2011

50th Birthday World Tour

In 315 days, I will be 50 years old! Can you believe it?  Given my college antics, this is an accomplishment in itself.   I made a promise to myself  a long time ago that I would embrace the milestone instead of fighting against it.  My friend, Cheryl Lorence, says it will come whether we want it to or not.  So, we should  do it  with grace.  I couldn't agree more with her.  Now, while I am as about as ungraceful as they come,  I will try my best to follow her example.

I've discussed turning the big 5-0 with some of my friends.  Some refuse to even discuss it, right Terri P?  Some have been crying for months now.  Others are looking to miracle cures such as Botox.  Then there are the ones like me who are planning big events to commemorate the big day.  I am a follower of the go big club.  I am planning what I'm calling  my 50th Birthday World Tour.  After all if Charlie Sheen can have his 2011 Meltdown Tour, why can't I have my own world tour?  

The whole thing started with my brother Mitchell. I wanted to go to Key West to celebrate the big day. He said no.   He is disgusted that I will be turning 50 and have never been out of the United States.  I beg to differ.  I have been to Niagara Falls and Toronto, Canada.  Apparently it doesn't count because I didn't need a passport at the time nor did I have to get on an airplane to get there.  He is a travel snob!  Because he is a flight attendant for World Airlines, he thinks we should all be jetting around the world at every possible moment.  To rectify the situation, he is taking me to Italy for my 50th birthday.  He is also taking my mom who will turn 70 that year as well. To round out the estrogen tour is my sister Paige.  I'm so excited!!  We will go in June 2012.  I have bought all kinds of travel books and have talked to many people about the trip.  I've gotten all kinds of suggestions!  (BTW, if any of you have any not to be missed hot spots, please let me know!  I would love to hear your suggestions!)

Then, the most amazing opportunity came along this year at school.  Beth Adkins, the senior English teacher, decided to put together a proposal to take students abroad.  The school board approved it and the International Travel Group was born.  Mrs. Adkins and I will be taking 17 students and 6 parents to London and Paris in March of 2012!  How exciting is that?  It will be so much fun seeing England through the eyes of 17 and 18 year old students.  

Now,  how many people can say there are going to Europe twice in 10 weeks!?!?!?  Well, besides my brother-in-law Randy who travels all over the world for his job that is! I say move over Countess Luann de Lesseps, there is a new jet setter in town!   All joking aside, I realize how fortunate I am to be able to go on these two amazing trips next year.  I, for one, am looking forward to ringing my half a century birthday  in such beautiful countries with such wonderful family and friends.  I'm one lucky girl!!!

Make Every Day Count....
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment