Saturday, June 4, 2011

Our Yearly Conversation

Every summer Rick and I have the same conversation.  While in the midst of shoveling a truckload of mulch, Rick always says, "I think we should sell this place and get a condo."  I always response with, "As soon as the remodeling is finished, we can."  The conversation ends and the spreading of mulch continues. This has been going on for years, and I figure it will continue for many more years to come.

The thing is that neither one of us would be happy in a condo.  We love our yard and our home.  What we don't like is all of the upkeep that goes into maintaining our yard.  Twenty years ago when we were young and full of energy, we started landscaping our yard.   Our driveway is lined with a flower bed of daylillies  and burning bushes.  The front yard has a huge mound filled with various perennials.  The garage and the house are landscaped all the way around each structure.  We have a small pond and two raised beds around the patio.  As if that isn't enough we have a small side garden and the shed is landscaped too!!!  It is all beautiful and I enjoy it all summer long.  We get all kinds of compliments from the neighbors and passers by.  Not to sound like a braggart, but I have to say it is one of the nicest yards in the neighborhood.

Today we finished day 2 of the  mulching and weeding.  Let's be honest, Rick did all of the mulching this year....all six scoops of it!  Thank you honey!!!  (Just a note:  I want props because last year I did most of the mulching myself!)  We started around 11:00 this morning.  At 2:00 I looked at him and said I have to take a break.  The heat was getting to me.  It was after all 90 degrees outside.  Rick gave me a grateful look and agreed to a quick break.  Well, 2 1/2 hours later, we woke up from our break!  That's right, we both fell asleep in the living room.  We couldn't believe it.  What happened to us?  Not so long ago we could work for 12 hours straight  in 90 degree weather without  a break.  Now we are lucky to get 6 hours of work in in a day.   I don't mind getting older; I mind losing my stamina!  Rick and I are workhorses.  After all we have remodel our entire house ourselves.  (Disclaimer:  After drywalling one room ourselves, we now hire that dirty job out!  Being honest is the backbone of this blog.  So, felt compelled to tell the truth here!)  And we have done all of our landscaping ourselves too.

But as I sit here on the back porch icing my shoulder while taking in the smell of honeysuckle while admiring our work, I realize we still do good work.  It just takes us a little bit longer than it use to.  I also can appreciate all of our hard work more.  With age comes wisdom and gratitude.  I realize how lucky I am to still be able to work in my yard.  Hopefully tomorrow morning when I wake with new aches and pains, I will still have the afterglow of a good  hard day's work.  I've been blessed by God.

Make Every Day Count.....
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment