Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Celebrity Crushes

Do you remember your first celebrity crush?  I remember mine.  It was Bobby Sherman of Here Comes The Bride fame.  For those of you who are under the age of 30, he was the original Justin Bieber! I remember crying when I would see him on the TV.  I also bought every Tiger Beat magazine that had him on the cover.  I loved him!  (And, yes, Tiger Beat is older than dirt!  It came out in 1965. )

As with all young love, it comes and goes like the waves of the ocean.  My next celebrity love was Donny Osmond AND Michael Jackson.  That's right, I was in love with two boys at the same time.  I know, I was a trollop at the age of 10!   My poor family!  I would play "Puppy Love" and "Rockin' Robin" until the needle worn down on my 45 record player!  It was reminiscent of Sandra of the Cosby Show.  Remember when she kept playing the say song over and over when she and Eldon broke up?  Everyone in the house was about to go over the edge.  Well, it was same thing in our house in Berlin, Ohio.  The difference was I didn't have a broken heart; my heart was busting out with grade school love!  I had like a gazillon posters on my walls and ceiling.   In fact, you couldn't see the walls!   I think there was paneling underneath the glossy photographs,  but I'm not sure.

Then everything changed in the mid 70s when my oldest brother Randy moved in with us.  He introduced me to a whole new genre of music.  With one 8-track tape, my love life was turned upside down.  Gone was Donny Osmond and in his place was Aerosmith's Steven Tyler!  I was totally in love!  The dude could sing Dream On to me for hours, and I would never tire of it.  To this day, I still love that song.  It was the first tune I download to my iPod!  At first I think my family was grateful for the switch.  After all how many times can you listen to Donny and Michael without wanting to pull your hair out?!?!? I'm pretty sure it is equivalent  to Baby, Baby by the Biebs! But when the black light posters went up as well as the volume on my record player, they realized he wasn't going anywhere anytime soon! Just wanted they wanted was to hear the Demon of Screaming 24-7.   (BTW, for the under 30 crowd, a record player was the precursor to the 8 track tape player, the CD, and MTV! )  My brother gave my parents reasons to want to hurt him during his teenager years.  I'm pretty sure introducing me to Rock and Roll and Aerosmith  would definitely be one of those times.

Well, 35 years later, Steven Tyler is still my celebrity crush!   Now I'm going to be honest.  I have strayed from time to time.  There was the Peter Frampton and Michael Hutchison  rock periods.  And not too recently there was the McSteamy  and Rafael Nadal phase.  And of course I'm  on all about Team Edward!  However,  I always come back to the Demon of Screaming, the Lips of Love, one half of the Toxic Twins.   I'm pretty sure he will  be my one and only until the day I die.  I just recently read Steven's autobiography, "Do the Noises in My Head Bother You?"  I have to tell you there were times that I cringed and then would turn around and LOL.  There were 'aha' moments and moments of 'huh'? I'm sure after reading his book there are many people who are turned off by him.  Let's face it!  He is vulgar and has a checkered to past to say the least.   At times I too was turned off by him while reading his book.  But in the end, I had a great appreciation for him, the band, the music world, addiction and survival.  If it is possible, I think his book only made me like him even more.  I totally appreciated his brutal honesty and sense of creativity.  I'm a Steven Tyler fan for ever!

Now, he just signed on to judge American Idol for another year!  I'm smiling really big!!!  I can't wait for the season to begin.  I love having a weekly date with my man, Steven Tyler.

Make Every Day Count....
Denise

PS:  I would love to hear who your celebrity crushes are!  Just leave me a message.  I promise I won't tell anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment