Sunday, July 10, 2011

Picking My Battles

We all know the adage about picking your battles. If you have children you know what I'm talking about.  In fact it is one of the basic parenting skills you learn.  Some battles are small time while others are of CIA caliber.  What each of us must do is evaluate each individual battle and determine if it is worth the fight or not.  And the degree of importance varies from parent to parent.

The same is true for all children whether they are of the two-legged or the four-legged variety.  Well, blog posse I find myself in a 'pick your battle' quandary.  Here's the load down:  In May Rick and I bought new furniture.  (See April's When Opposites Attract post if you haven't read about our trip to the furniture store.)    After it arrived, I decided that the dogs would no longer be allowed on the couch.  After nine years of camping on the sofa, Sophie and Stormy were not at all amused with the new policy...especially Stormy.  You see she is the main couch potato in our family.  Now Sophie likes it too but prefers the our bed upstairs.  Sophie is also recovering ACL surgery, so she really hasn't tried to get on the sofa  too much of late.  Stormy, on the other hand, feels she owns that couch and we are just a nuisance that gets in her way.

The first week we had the couch, Stormy would jump on it at every turn.  And each time I said, "Bad Dog,  Down."  She would slither off and give me the death stare while waiting for her next opportunity. Blog Follower Catie emailed me some advice.  Apparently she is the dog whisperer of Licking County so I was happy to give anything a try.  She said I should say Good Girl Down and give her a treat each time. Positive reinforcement if you will.  Catie assured me that it in no time flat Stormy would be broken of her couch camping habit.  Well, the only thing accomplished with that route was Stormy probably gained a pound or two from the treats!  Now she did learn not to jump on the sofa when I was looking.  It did nothing for when I was out of the room.

So, I started blocking the couch.  I would put the coffee table up against the couch.  Of course it wasn't quite long enough so I would block the open end with the four BIG pillows. Unbeknownst to me, Stormy has also picked her battle.   It was only a matter of time before she learned how to knock the pillows off of the couch!  Did I mention I have some smart dogs?  So, I went bigger, better, best and started putting a box on that end of the couch.  I have no idea how she did it, but she worked until she moved that box aside enough to get her skinny butt up there!

After weeks of continual defeat, I drew up a new battle plan.  Blog Reader Barb gave me a baby gate to help keep Sophie from climbing the stairs to the bedroom. ( A side note:  Sophie has had a bit of a setback with her therapy.  She got to feeling good and started going up and down the stairs.  We thought why not if she can do it.  Wrong!!  Her ACL is now inflamed and she is having issues.  So back to the cage for her! )  So, to the story at hand....I decided to use the gate for Stormy while I'm gone.  Sophie is in her cage, so why not?  The first time I used it, it was a success.  I put Stormy in the kitchen and blocked off the living room.  This worked wonderfully.  I got home and Stormy is sitting in the kitchen glaring at me.  Apparently she was not pleased with the new game plan.

Like me, Stormy has not given up her battle either.   The next time I put her behind the gate, she knocked it over and camped out on the couch!  Now, I think  she thinks I'm blind because she met me at the door like nothing had happened.  Really girlfriend?   You don't think I can't see the gate laying on the floor.  And just in case I don't notice the gate down, I can't miss the incriminating evidence on the couch...two pounds of black dog hair against the camel colored cushions!  So the next time I put the gate up and push the kitchen chair up against it.  I figured a little reinforcement and the problem would be resolved.  No such luck.  She pushed the chair aside enough to give herself room to crash the gate!  Did I mention I have a really smart dog?

Well, apparently Stormy takes after me.  We both refuse to give up!  I told her I'm digging in my heels and I will conquer!  I told her she is messing with the wrong Mommy!  She just gave me the 'Bring It On Girlfriend' look and walked away.   The battle lines have clearly been drawn.  It is Me vs. the Schipperke.  I have a feeling this could be a battle of epic proportions!  Who will win?   Stay tuned!

Make Every Day Count...
Denise

PS:  Since the writing of this post, Stormy and I have come to an agreement.  In the Couch Treaty of 2011, Stormy has agreed to stay off the furniture while I'm on the premises.  I have agreed to cover the couch whenever I leave the premises.  Poor Sophie is being punished for a battle she wasn't even in.  Not only has be booted off the bed due to her surgery, but now she can't even lay on the couch!  She is a little hateful towards Stormy right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment