Sunday, February 27, 2011

Breaking Traditions

My favorite day of the year is just around the corner, March 1.  For me it is the official day of Spring.  I know that if I make to that day I have survived another winter.  Just like any other holiday, I celebrate with some traditions.

One tradition is to head off to Wilson's Garden Center.  It is the local gardening mecca down the road!  It closes on Christmas Eve and reopens on March 1 every year.  Starting January 1st I start the countdown.  I literally have a calendar that I mark off the days as they past.  It is really like the  child who counts down the days until  Christmas.  I also have a standing date with my neighbor Sue.  She, too, is a gardener.  We spend the winter pouring over gardening magazines and dreaming of March 1.  It, too, is reminiscent  of a child at Christmas going through the Toys R Us catalogue.  We mark pages and make wish lists.  We eagerly await the opening.  Well, this is year is a bit different.  This past fall Wilson's completed a $1 million renovation project. By doing so, they are now able to stay open year round.  At first I was so excited because I could now go whenever I wanted.  But then I decided I couldn't give up the tradition of March 1.  So I have been patiently waiting for the magical day to arrive only to realize there are two hitches.  One, I have parent teacher conferences on Tuesday!! Yep, there is no way I can go.  Two, Sue will not be home from Florida until Tuesday night.  Her mother passed away this February and, therefore,  she and Daryl got a late start on their annual snow bird trip.  So I spent the entire winter sticking to my guns about not breaking a 24 year tradition only to have it unravel.  So, what to do?  I'm going to pretend that tomorrow, Feb. 28, is March 1.  I am heading to Wilson's as soon as school is out and by myself.  I guess Sue will have to fend for herself on Wednesday!

My second March 1 tradition is to break out the sandals and crop pants.  I don't care if it's still snowing or not, I refuse to play winter a moment longer than necessary!  Trust me there have been days that I have walked into the school in a couple of inches of snow with my toes hanging out.  Millie, one of the secretaries, will just look at me and shake her head.  She'll ask, "De-nephew aren't your toes cold?'  I just smile!  Once again this tradition is being interrupted by parent teacher conferences.  No matter how tough I talk, I just can't wear such attire for conferences.  It just doesn't seem appropriate it.  So I have broken tradition once more.  Today was my March 1st.  I pulled out the white jeans, bold and bright blouse, Sketcher sandals and my new turquoise purse.  I complemented the outfit with bangles and baubles of blue.  I screamed spring! Luckily the weather cooperated.  It was in the 60s today!  I had posted a similar description on Facebook before I left for church.  When I arrived my friend Jackie was waiting on me.  She had read my post before leaving home and  wanted to see if I really had on sandals.  Sure enough, I did.  I proudly showed off the only  remnant of my last pedicure from the fall.,,my big toes had chipped Waitress Red polish.  Jackie in turn showed off your outfit...a turtle neck under a sweater with long johns under her slacks!  She was dressed for a snow storm and I was dressed for a day at the beach!!!!  Needless to say several of the parishioners got a good laugh at us this morning.

When all is said and done, nothing really has changed but the preconceived  date I believe things should have occurred.   Spring is here and I made it through another winter.  The robins have returned.  My primroses are starting to peek through the ground.  The backyard is a mud hole.  Sophie and Stormy are leaving paw prints everywhere.  The days are getting longer.  My mood has been lifted.  The neighbors are starting to stir from their winter hibernations.  Life is good.

Of course with Spring also comes shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops.  I guess I had better make an appointment for a pedicure.  After all I want my toes to look good with my chubby white legs and ill fitted shorts!  That's one tradition that will never change!

Make Everyday Count...
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment