Sunday, March 6, 2011

Like Owner, Like Dog

I have two wonderful dogs who are the loves of my life.  Stormy is our  9 year old Schipperke mix.  We got her 10 days after we lost our beloved Freeway.  We just couldn't stand the quiet in our house, so Rick ran off to the pound to find a new puppy to fill the silence. There is a story behind this one, but it will have to wait until another time.   Thirteen months later we got Sophie, our long-haired, Terrier mix.  We got her because Stormy bonded with Rick and, therefore, found me to be a nuisance that came between her and her Daddy.  I wanted a dog who would worship the ground I walked on. Be careful of what you wish for!!!

I took Sophie to the vet last week.  It was time for her annual shots and physical.  Also, she was having some problems with her hind legs.  Rick and I noticed that she was limping and walking with some discomfort.  We kept telling her she was getting old and decrepit.   After emptying our savings account with a quick bank drive by, it was off to see Dr. Jessica at Pet Plex in Buckeye Lake, Ohio. What it costs to go to the vet could feed a family of four in India for a year!   (BTW, for those of you who live in Licking County and you have four legged children, I highly recommend Dr. Williamson and Pet Plex.  It is a state of the art facility with the most wonderful people ever! My girls don't even mind going to the vet anymore.  Even the in residence cat is pretty awesome!)

While sitting in the examination room, I notice a 'How old is your dog in human years?' poster on the door.  I got up to read it.  Sophie is 8 years old and in human years she is 48 years old.  What?  My dog and I are the same age.  We looked at each and all of sudden we had a new understanding  of one another.  I became more sympathetic to her daily aches and pains.  I have my own daily issues.  Every morning I have to work to get my hips to move and at least once a week I have to ice my right shoulder. Ibpruben is my friend! And now it's Sophie's too.

Dr. Jessica diagnosed Sophie with arthritis in her lower spine.  She now has to take medication twice a day for the rest of her life to combat the pain.  The vet also sat me down and discussed ways to help improve Sophie's health.  The biggest concern is her weight.  She needs to lose 10 pounds!  Again Sophie and I exchanged looks.  Yep she's just like her owner, she's overweight!  I would say our weight issues are proportional to our sizes.  I need to lose 30 and she needs to lose 10.  It was a long trip home.  There was no stopping at Pet Smart for the usual pig ears.  Instead, we went to Wal-Mart for a bag of  Iams weight control food and a box of the low fat doggie treats.  I had to explain to her that this is how it is for Mommy after leaving a Weight Watchers meeting.  While I was at it, I also bought a few low calorie treats for myself.  I guess she and I will have to lose weight together.  

Once we got home, we had to go on the Sophie begging tour.  You see, one of our neighbors is wrapped around Sophie's paw. All Sophie has to do is go to Debb's fence and bark and Debb throws her food.  Much to Sophie's dismay, Debb is now limited to one treat a day.  Debb calls me everyday and tells me how mean I am.  Apparently Sophie is putting the guilt trip on her by barking and whining at the door! I reminded Debb that it takes a community to raise a dog.  Sophie needs her to be strong!

That night as I got ready for bed, I noticed my eyebrows needed plucked.  Upon further examination I noticed my mustache needed some work too.  Just as I finished something caught my eye....I saw a hair on my chin!!!  What? This can't be happening!  I looked at Sophie and I'm pretty sure I heard her say,"Like dog, like owner" as she sauntered into the bedroom.   I've become my dog!

Sophie gets groomed on March 30.  I get waxed on the April 1!

Make Every Day Count...
Denise

PS:  For all of you dog lovers out there, you must read the book "A Dog's Purpose" by W. Bruce Cameron.    You'll never look at your best friend the same way again!

No comments:

Post a Comment