Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Urbanator VS. TBDBITL

What a day at the Shoe!  First and foremost, it was Toni and Denise Day!  My friend and I always try to spend one day together in the summer.  We do what ever we want without any regard to responsibilities.  Usually we spend the day on the boat at Buckeye Lake.  We have been known to take the boat to Millersport to get our hair done!  We have also anchored the boat in a canal and read all day long.  This year we didn't get our day out on the boat.  Instead, we decided the best way to spend T & D day was at the  OSU Buckeye opener.  After all it was a big day with the debut of Urban Meyer as the new head coach.  Let's just stop right here and make something perfectly clear.  As most of you know, I am not an Urban fan and prayed hard that he wouldn't be our next coach.  But as we all know, my prayers were not answered.  So I found myself with a decision to make.  I could change my allegiance to another team or join the bandwagon.  Scarlett and gray runs deep in my veins, and I chose the Urbanator.

So the excitement in the crowd was electrifying!  There had been so much speculation in the media for the last year as to how our team would adjust to a new coach and a whole new philosophy.  The Urbanator had been very vocal about his displeasure of how the team was progressing. According to him this was going to be an iffy year.   And after last year's season, the crowd wouldn't be happy with anything less than a grubbing of Miami University.  The day started out ominous!  There was thunder, lightening and torrential rains!  Was this a foreshadowing of bad things to come?  All I could think was I hope I just didn't spend $70 to sit in the pouring  rain and watch my beloved Buckeyes get beat by the Redhawks of Miami.  As soon as we hit the Franklin County line, the sun came out and the humidity went up.  It was going to be a good day after all.  The first quarter was pitiful!  The Buckeyes couldn't do a damn thing right.  But with the second quarter came a turning of the tide.  The team showed us what they are made of.  It was one touchdown followed by another. One great catch after another.  The Urbanator was in control!  He lead his team and the Buckeye Nation to its first of many wins to come.



But the Urbantor wasn't the only person making a debut today.   The Best Damn Band In The Land was also ringing in a new era.  After 28 years as the band director, Dr. Jon Woods retired and a new regime was taking over.   What would the band be like?  The answer:  freaking awesome!   The band did a tribute to 50 years of the Beach Boys.  I have to say it was one of the best shows ever!  The band made the field come alive!  They formed a Thunderbird equipped with smoke coming out of the tail pipe.  There were palm trees swaying in the breeze under a full sun.  The band told the story of young love complete with a girl and boy finding each other at the 50 yard line.  Then there was  a girl on a surf board surfing across the field complete with waves.  It ended with a script Beach Boys!  The entire stadium was rocking!  We didn't even care that it was raining and we were getting wet!



So who won the battle of the debuts:  The Urbanator or TBDBITL?  In my humble opinion the winner is The Best Damn Band In The Land.  Let's face it, Miami was just a blip on the screen.  I will reserve my opinion on Urban when the team meets with a true test of fortitude.  Either way it was a great day at the Shoe.  I was a witness to the beginning of the Urban era and the new era of  TBDBITL.  The best part:  spending it with my buddy Toni!  What a great Toni and Denise Day!

Make Every Day Count........
Denise

PS:  Thanks to my cousin Dr. Brad for letting two old ladies park at his house!  Our old bones appreciated the short walk!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment