Friday, September 14, 2012

The Quilting Slut

My husband and I have been married for over 25 years now.  During our quarter century together, he has called me many names of endearment...honey, babe, sugar, dear, #1 and the quilting slut. Yes, he has called me a quilting slut.  Now before you get all fired up and accuse me of degrading quilting by attaching it to the word slut, please let me explain.

 I have a wonderful little group of quilting friends called the Bodacious Fabric Goddesses (BFGs). Or as Rick calls us "The Clucking Quilt Hens."  He has even numbered us...1, 2, 3, 4.....  In our younger days we spent many weekends and summer days traveling all over the United States going to fabric stores and quilt shows.  We have traveled  to Charlestown, St. Louis, Peoria, Paducah, Grand Rapids, and beyond.  We have gone on more Shop Hops than you can imagine.  We all have the "Quilter's Bible".  It is a book that lists all of the quilt shops in the United States, Canada and Europe.  It was nothing to pick up the book, select some shops, map a route, load the swagger wagon...okay, so it was called a mini van back in the old days...and take off!

One day as the hens and I were sitting around my kitchen table planning a new adventure, Rick walked  in and asked what we were doing.  As if he had to ask!  Couldn't he see the book?!?!  Any ways, we told him what we were doing and he started to laugh.  He said, and I quote...."You are quilting sluts.  All you do is hop from shop to shop fondling fabric!"  We looked at each other and busted out laughing hysterically!   He was totally right!  It pretty much summed it up!



Well,  after school today  I found myself with nothing to do which is a rarity.  Very seldom to do I just have free time to do whatever I want.  So, I decided to head off to Michael's.  For those who aren't crafting aficionados, it is a craft supply store.  I perused the aisles looking for scrapbooking and card making materials.  I bought a paper pack and some stickers.  From there  I went to JoAnne Fabrics. I was fondling bolts of fabric and petting the pretty papers.  I bought a couple of quilting and cardmaking magazines.  Back in the car and on to Hobby Lobby.

It was while I was in the stamp aisle that it occurred to me that I am no longer a quilting slut.  My name is Denise Edmunds and I am a full-blown Crafting Slut.  That's right folks, I am acknowledging the fact that I have no control when it comes to any kind of crafting store.  I have no loyalty to any particular store.  I will do u-turns if I pass any kind of fabric store or crafting store.  I will pick up anything crafty and fondle it.  I will buy stuff just because I have to have and not for any practical purpose.  I have enough projects and gadgets in my quilting room that I couldn't possibility use it all in my life time!  Hell, how many people do you know that have a walk in fabric closet.  I am simply hopeless!



But before you judge me and perform an intervention, please remember one thing.  Most of you who are reading this blog have been benefited from  my addiction.  You have swaddled your babes in quilts.  You have wrapped yourself in wedding quilts on a cool fall night. You have snuggled under your quilt in your dorm rooms.  You have spent endless hours flipping through the scrapbooks.  You have opened endless envelopes to find handmade Christmas cards.  You have been a recipient of my love.  Nothing says I love you more than a Denise creation!

So the next time you see with a glazed look in my eyes, just get out of my way.  I am under the influence of the need to craft addiction.  Who knows, may be I making something for you!

Make Every Day Count...
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment