Sunday, February 26, 2012

It Really Shouldn't Be This Hard!

In 25 days I leave for the trip of a lifetime.  Along with 3 other teachers, 17 students and 7 parents, I leave for a 10 day trip to London and Paris!  I'm so excited and, if I am completely honest, very anxious about the trip.  To think that I am going to be in some of the most famous landmarks in the world is unbelievable!  I can't wait!!!!

The preparation for the trip is causing  major anxiety though!  We are going to London in March!  So the weather can be anything:   snow, rain, cold, heat, cloudy, sunshine, etc.  In addition to the weather, I also have to pack for 10 days!  The stress is causing me sleepless nights!  The two biggest items for me is a coat and a pair of shoes.  The coat is taken care of!  The issue was it had to be water repellant in case of rain, but also warm enough for chilly weather.  But then it couldn't be too heavy in case of warmer weather.  Then factor in the fact that I am a penny pincher! ( No North Face here!) I mean, while I could buy what I needed over there, then I have to deal with room in the suitcase! So,  I went on 3 different trips to various malls around Columbus looking for the perfect coat!  Finally, 2 weeks ago I found the coat of my dreams at Eddie Bauer! It is water proof, lightweight, and a gorgeous chartreuse green.  The best part is the separate fleece pullover that goes under it for warmth!  How cool is that?!?!  The fleece can double as a separate shirt if it were warm enough!  Score!

The shoes, however, are proving to be a different story.  I want water proof, comfortable walking shoes that won't break the bank! After all I will be walking 5/6 miles a day.  I need to be prepared for rain while maintaining comfort.   Apparently I am asking for the impossible!  If the shoes are completely waterproof, then they aren't comfortable.  If I go for the cush and ease, then they aren't waterproof.  It really shouldn't be that hard to find a pair of shoes!  Well, it is!  I am now on my 4th pair of shoes.  The first 3 pairs were waterproof, but hurt my feet after only a couple of hours.   I got tired of returning shoes, so I reevaluated my list and decided to make comfort my number #1 priority.  After spending 1 1/2 hours in Dick's on Friday, I am now test driving a pair of Asics.  After only 1 day, they do seem to be something I can wear for hours.  Unfortunately, if it rains hard, I'm in trouble.  With my luck it will rain the first day and I'll have wet shoes for 9 days!!!

Now I have no one to blame for my dilemma, but myself.  I have a bad habit of over thinking everything, therefore, making it impossible to make a decision!  I just want this trip to be perfect, and it is causing me so much stress!  As much as I would like to be one of those people who can just go with the flow, I'm not!  If ever there was trip that I need to be able to go with the flow, it's this one.  Of course, as long as I am concentrating on the damn shoes, I don't have to think about the outfits and how I'm going to get them all into one suitcase!  I have decided not to stress too much about it right now.  I will stay focused on the shoes. When the time gets closer and weather.com can give me a 10 day forecast, I will make those finally clothing decisions.  I can guarantee one thing...my next trip to Florida will definitely seem like a breeze!

Make Everyday Count....
Denise




1 comment:

  1. You crack me up! Let me say, though, having done what you are doing.....definitely COMFORT is key....even if you have pry a few more pennies out of your tight little fist! :). Nothing is worse than blisters and feet that hurt so bad you can't think of anything else. Trust me on this one! I know that of which I speak! Wet feet and shoes will dry. Hurting feet will remind you every second!

    ReplyDelete