Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Fat Girl Woes!

I am a fat girl.  I know that people try to come up with cute little names to help soften the truth.  I'm sorry.  I am not fluffy.  I am not chubby.  Nor am I chunky, plump, round or big-boned.  I am fat.  Actually,  by the medical profession,  I am obese.  I'll admit I don't like obese, but the BMI says that I am.  Whatever you want to call it, I am okay with it.  Would I like to be thinner?  Of course, but not if it means I have to eat carrots and drink water 24/7!    I like food!  I appreciate a good gourmet meal...thanks to my 2 brothers who happen to be chefs as well as my mother who can cook Hunky food like no other!

So, what has my granny panties in bunch now?  It's what I call the 'fat girl woes'.  This usually happens when I'm shopping for clothes or shoes!  I set out to spend lots of money on a new wardrobe or kicks only to end up at home with one or two purses!  A fat girl can rock any purse!!!  I'm just saying!  Well, the fat girl woes struck again today.  If you are a regular read, you know that I am a closet Barbie. (See blog post:  In The Closet).  I love fashion and if I had a killer body and money, I would be rocking the fashion world.   But when you are fat, or obese as Dr. Ersham puts it, it's not always easy to find the perfect clothes.  So for me to go out and shop for clothes and shoes,  I have to really want it.  The current fashion trend are fashion boots.  I'm in love with all of the styles of boots right now....rain boots, cowboy boots, high-heels, high thighs, etc.  I have been debating for months now if I could wear boots.   Being fat you have to consider all of the angles....skinny jeans or not,  stretch pants or not, tights or not, sweater dresses or not?   You have to analyze what will make your thighs look like tree stumps or what will make your ass look like a neon billboard.

I made the decision today that I could wear boots.  They would have to be understated and I would have to wear them with the right pants, but it would work.  How hard could it be to find a pair of freaking boots?  After all the stores have entire boot sections with 20-30 styles on display.  Well, apparently I was greatly mistaken!  You see if you are a fat girl, you most likely need wide calf boots!!!!  That's right, it's like trying to fit the step sister's foot into Cinderella's slipper!  After 3 attempts, I gave up!  One store had a couple of wide calf boots, but they looked like something a hooker would wear.  Went to another store and they had 1 style left but only in 3 sizes. The third one had some, but I'm not willing to go into debt to own them.

As I was driving home, I started thinking about the dilemma I was in.  Here's the thought:  Is the shoe industry ignoring the plus size women when designing boots?  Or is everyone wearing the wide calf and not the skinny girl designs?  Or is someone telling me  that fat girls are not meant to wear boots?  May be somebody out there is thinking about me.  They don't want me to look like a tree on a neon flashing billboard!!!  I'm not giving up though.  This weekend I'm going to make trip to Columbus and DSW and a few other stores.  Surely there is a pair of wide calf kicks with my name on them.  Of course, if I find them, then I have to start the process of finding a pair of pants to go with them.   More fat girl woes!!!  By the time I find the boots and pants, the trend will be so last year and out of style!!!  Oh well, wearing styles out of fashion has never bothered me before.  After all, I'm not afraid to wear white after summer!!!  Such a rebel.

Make Every Day Count...
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment