Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Knocking On The Door

In six months I will celebrate my 50th birthday.   As I've stated before, I am embracing it!  Given my youth, I am proud to be alive so I can sit atop of the hill and look down on the youngsters.  What I'm not embracing so much is the knock on my door by those who want  to make it come sooner than April 30, 2012.

While I'm not a technology expert, I'm pretty sure there is some secret society out there that uses some supercomputer to alert all of the 'over the hill' businesses that you are 6 months away from your 50th birthday!  In the last few weeks I have received several types of mail aimed at the 50+ crowd.  Three weeks ago I started getting emails from seniorpeoplemeet.com.  First of all, I am not yet 50 nor am I single!  Secondly, how the heck did they get my email address?  I'm pretty sure I didn't sign up for it!!!  It's comparable to the armed forces sending you all kinds of literature when you turn 18.  I guess it is some kind of rite of passage to remind you of the impending event.  Psst:  Just in case the people from seniorpeoplemeet are reading,  this I want you to know that I will celebrating my 25th wedding anniversary in December.  Therefore, you can stop bombarding my inbox with your advertisements.   I'm automatically deleting them!

Then today, I got my first piece of junk mail from AARP.  I knew it was coming.  I remember making fun of Rick 4 years ago when it started coming for him.  He didn't find as much humor in it as I did.  So of course today, when I asked if there was any mail, he was quick to personally deliver to  me my envelope.  He was smiling ear-to-ear.  I think he was hoping for a meltdown or hissy fit.  Instead I just laughed and immediately took to my blog to write about it.  Of course, I was slightly annoyed with the waste of trees it took to produced the darn thing.  Luckily, I recycle.  So it went directly into the recycle bin in the kitchen.

I'm a realist, so I know that this is only the beginning of the 'hahaha you're turning 50' onslaught.  It's okay with me.  I say bring it on.  I'm not going to freak out or go into a deep depression about it. Instead I will find the humor in it and  laugh at myself.  I will also use the opportunity to share my thoughts with you, my faith readers.  I will be the trailblazer for embracing middle age.  So, go ahead and knock on my door all of you over the hill businesses.  I will open it wide, let you in, hear your pitch, and then toss you into the recycling bin!  I will have the last laugh.

Make Every Day Count...
Denise


No comments:

Post a Comment