Friday, September 23, 2011

Old Time Rock and Roll

It is always amazing to me how a simple song on the radio can transport me back to another time and place.  Today is no exception.  As I sit in the waiting room of the car dealership, my mind is taking me back to the Kat Blues dance floor in Coshocton, Ohio.  Playing on the radio is the song Centerfield by John Fogerty.  Every time I hear that song, I think of my friend Debb  and our exuberant dance moves on the dance floor.  We loved that song!  So, it got me thinking about other songs that will send me back in time, and I thought I would share them with you.  I mean what else am I going to do while I wait on my car to get done!  So here are a few my favorite song induced memories....

1.  Kung Fu Fighting:  This song always takes me back to the 6th grade dance at Fresno Elementary.  All of my little girlfriends and I line danced to it.  Of course, it wasn't called line dancing then!  We were so progressive forward for our ages!  It also reminds me of my first kiss and subsequent mono!

2. Joy to the World by Three Dog Night:  This was the very first song that I learned all of the words to!  I thought I was a gangster because I would scream 'son of a gun'  REALLY loud!  I thought I was cursing and, therefore, a badass!

3.  American Pie by Don Mclean:  It reminds me of my parents' divorce.  I think it's because it had such a  melancholic mood.  And it was about saying goodbye, and I guess I was saying good bye to the family unit that we once had.

4.  Anything from the Best of Bread:  It reminds me of my dad.  It was his first foray into teenage angst. Even though he had three sisters, he wasn't prepared for the hormonal roller coaster of his 13 year old daughter! Then of course, I didn't help matters when I realized it was driving him crazy!  What else was I to do but play it even more!

5.  The soundtrack to Grease:  My girlfriends and I spent hours cruising Main Street in Coshocton on Saturday nights.  We cranked up our 8-tracks and sang along loudly!  Yes, I said 8-track!  It never got old!  To this day I can't listen to Summer Nights without singing it at the top of my lungs!

6.  Jungle Love by Steve Miller Band:  I remember my friend Kris and I dancing on her couch to the song.  Her dad came home and busted us!  I still remember him saying, "Hershberger, get out!  For some reason every time Kris and I got into trouble, he always assumed it was my fault!!  If only he knew how much trouble I kept her out of!!!

7.  The Stroke by Billy Squier:  Takes me back to sophomore year at Bowling Green State University.  My roommate Ellie and I played that album until it became warped and wouldn't play any longer.  There is a good possibility that someone on our hall may have tampered with the album.  The screams to quit playing it were strong!

8.  Another Brick in the Wall by Pink Floyd:  I remember the high school office played music during our lunch periods.  Every time we heard Another Brick in the Wall, every one beat their fists on the table and screamed the lyrics.  After all we thought we didn't need an education!!!!!

9.  My Wish by Rascal Flatts:  I think this is the most beautifully written song in the history of song writing.  While it doesn't have any special meaning right now, but it will to others someday.  I want it played at my funeral.  (No, I'm not sick and/or dying!)  It's just that I believe every lyric of that song. I want to leave it as my final love letter to everyone who has meant anything to me in my life.

10.  On the Boardwalk by The Drifters:  It is a beach staple and we all know how I love the beach!  Whenever I hear it, I am transported to sand and sun.  I can feel the sun.  I can hear the waves breaking the beach.  I can taste the pina cola.  I can see the shells.  I can smell the saltwater.  Heaven on earth.

11.  Anything by the Michael Stanley Band:  I hated that band!  I went to BGSU aka Little Cleveland.  It was so called because 80% of the population was from Cleveland.  Now I loved my Cleveland friends, but they are so obnoxious about they things they are passionate about.  The ARE passionate about MSB!  So much so that it was annoying!  If you know a Cleveland Browns fan, you know what I'm talking about!

These are  only 11 of a gazillion songs that can transport me to another time and place.  Some of them are good memories and some not so good.  But they are songs that help shape me to be who I am  and brought me to this point in my life....good and bad!!!  What songs are special to you?  What songs take you to that place of long ago?  Let me know...

"My wish for you
Is that this life becomes all that you want it to
Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small
You never need to carry more than you can hold "---Rascal Flatts

Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment