Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My 6th Grade Love Life

Saturday night I attended another prom.  As a high school teacher, I have probably been to 20 proms or more over the years.  I really enjoy going and seeing the kids all dressed up.  Even though I am a low maintenance tomboy, I love seeing people dressed up in formal wear.  I always buy the Oscar edition of People magazine every year just so I can look at the dresses, hair and make up.  Guilty pleasure, what I can I say?

Because of my new technology skills, I realized that I could actually scan a picture from my senior prom and post it to my Facebook account!  (By the way, when I told my National Honor Society kids what I did all by myself, they were impressed!)  So, I did it!  I was just something fun to do and I really have enjoyed the comments friends  posted.  I dared others to post their pictures, but I had no takers.  I think they were all afraid to admit to the fact they were rocking some bad 80s big hair styles back then.

One comment was from my prom date, Scott.  He took me back to the 6th grade.  I had totally forgotten that he was the first boy to ever give me chocolate on Valentine's Day.  He said he had saved his money to buy me a heart filled with candy.  Wasn't that sweet?  At the age of 49 I definitely see it in a whole different light.  We were 12 years old.  He must have saved his money from shoveling snow or mowing lawns or delivering papers.  It just makes me smile to think that he would have done that for me.  It makes me  think about my own nephews and their first crushes!  Are they saving their money for chocolate for that special girl?

Of course this got me thinking of other 6th grade memories.  I went to my first dance  that year.  I remember my  step-dad teaching me how to dance in the living room.  I also remember my bratty brothers standing in the background making fun of me!  They were making kissie sounds and slow dancing with each other.  My date for the dance was my "boyfriend", Dave.   Let's be honest, what is a boyfriend when you are 12.  Any ways, I received my very first kiss that night.  Once again, it makes me smile thinking about young love.  It was so memorable because I was diagnosed with mono a week later!  It was reminiscent of the Brady Bunch episode when Bobby kissed Millicent.  He had to sit by phone waiting for test results.  Same thing here! Unfortunately for Dave the results were positive.  Imagine finding out the first girl you ever shared a kiss  has mono.  Luckily for him, he did not get sick.

As I recall these memories, it makes me realize how important my 6th grade year was.  Who knew it would be the beginning of my love life?  Chocolate, kissing and mono all at the age of 12!  Of course it makes me wonder what my nieces and nephews are doing at their first school dances!!!!  When I think of them kissing the opposite sex at 12, I'm like no!  You're too young!  But then I have to remember I was doing the same thing at their age.  I can only hope that they are building wonderful memories with such nice young people like I did.  And be able to appreciate the sweetness  those memories 40 years later.  Here's to young love!

Make Every Day Count

Denise



 

No comments:

Post a Comment